The first of the corsets was in fact the first to be designed – and was also the most challenging one as for the first time I was making it completely from the scratch – not using and adapting other patterns, but actually designing piece by piece, hoping it would all work together:-)
The initial design with different silk choices… I wanted to convey the traditional aspect of geisha but with a strong modern twist, including the bondage element as well – think sexy bondage manga and you will more or less see where I was planning to head…. 🙂
I used my wasp waisted mannequin to get the shape of the pieces right – it is not too far off Threnody’s measurements, so it was a useful tool. once the pieces worked on the dummy, I made a mock up in plain coutil, boned it and sent it to Threnody to try on and mark any problem areas etc – since she specialises in corsetry modelling, she was able to provide a valuable feedback – a great help!
Once I received the mock up with the corrections back, I was able to implement them and change them a bit and start making the thing for real…
I was again due for our bitch and stitch sessions with Julia from Sew Curvy, so took it with me – and Julia’s suggestions and input helped a lot when we were considering minor changes in design.
Then the work started in earnest…
Once the inside was tidies up, the suspenders were added ( with a decorative Japanese buttons) and the corset was flossed with yarn – the flossing character chosen here was a kanji symbol meaning ‘red’.
Next were the posture collar, reflecting the design of the corset, and the pasties – it was my first go at the pasties, but was pretty please with them – they are made out of leather, silk and the edges are decorated with a chemille braid.
Then the whole set, including satin ribbons for the wrists and kanzashi flower for the hair was packed and sent on to Threnody.
On the day of the shoot we discussed accessories, hair and make up styles and I got the first proof the very same day – and once I chose the photos I wanted, Threnody ( yes, she is also the photographer, editor, make up artist – you name it! a very talented lady!) worked on a suitable background options and credits font etc.
and the results – well, I loved the pictures – and I hope you do too!
The corset is now back from its adventures and is available on sale in our online shop – and i think a few more of the same design will be appearing there at some point too 🙂
The other corset was already half made when due to a sudden change of plans I had to remake it, and make it fit Threnody – this one was a sheer number with the front panel and exterior boning channels made in vibrant kimono silk. as accessories, I made a matching set of vambrances:-)
And the corset was ready:-)
Again, it look great on Threnody, and the colours suited her exceptionally well!
This corset already sold – as I write it is making its way to Hong Kong:-)
Btw, the kanzashi flowers used here were by Colorful world of Kanzashi.
Hope you have enjoyed my little forray into the ethnic inspired corsetry – and, not surprisingly, I have another collection planned for the summer, with a completely different part of the world being represented:-)