Well, we have done the Francaise and l’anglaise style, time for a little polonaise… The idea for this one sprouted as soon as I saw the fabric at the market – a lovely silk brocade in ivory, yellow and green, in a fitting 18th century pattern. the fabric was bought and put aside for the project. The project itself was kick-started by an offer to participate in a bridal photo shoot organized by Lavinia from Events in a Box. The venue, Harrowen Hall, was an 18th century mansion, so apart from the modern dresses, they wanted something ‘more period’ . A perfect occasion to showcase the 18th century collection – and the polonaise was scheduled.
There was a complication ( there always is something, isn’t there?). The shoot was to be on the 18th April ( my birthday!) and on the 13th I was having a surgery on my shoulder…. the other gowns were to be worn by models provided, but this one had to be modeled by me. still possible, if I sewed most of it before the op, and finished the neckline after the op – I needed to make the bodice a bit bigger than usually, to accommodate the dressing – I gathered a size bigger would be ok, I would simply lace my stays loosely.
The making of the frock was surprisingly easy – and pleasant. The pleated back looks complicated, but it was rather straightforward pleats, and stitching them down was relaxing. I used the pattern from Janet Arnold and bodice pattern from the l’anglaise.
Once the pleats were done, it was time to get the front of the sleeves and the front part of the bodice sorted.
Finishing the bodice was next. the silk parts were hemmed and mounted onto the linen lining.
sSeeves were next on the agenda
And that was more or less it – the skirt were polonaised using inside tapes, as indicated on the pattern – and most importantly, the dress, though as planned just tad too big for me, worked perfectly with my shoulder dressing:-) fortunately the big dressing ( pictured below) was removed the day before the shoot…. no way I would be able to fit anything over that! well, maybe a Robocop costume… 🙂
Petticoat was made as well – in ivory taffeta, with a flounce. For skirt supports I used a big bumroll/ false hips, and the gown is of course worn over the stays.
Alas, the models provided for the other dresses were about 2-3 sizes too small so it was a challenge to get the frocks looking good,but the photographers worked wonders and we did get a few great pictures – please excuse the modern bridal headgear – showcasing work of another company too! 🙂
Photography, Shears and Mockford – and indeed that was our first shoot together – little did we know we would end up working regularly on a variety of projects!