Well, I thought our previous event at the venue was a blast – but this year it was even better! After a year of preparations, marketing, meetings, sales, dealing with emergencies and unplanned changes, sewing and general organisational madness, … Continue reading
Welcome to another of our tutorials aimed at the folk getting their gear ready for the Victorian Ball. In this one I am going to provide a step by step guide on how to make the iconic round crinoline cage, perfect … Continue reading
In the previous tutorial we dealt with undergarments (drawers, chemise and a petticoat), and the crinoline cage is explained here). So, it is now time to tackle the gown itself! Again, since this series is mostly dedicated to the guests of … Continue reading
I have never done a proper day 1860 kit before – yes, did ballgowns and bridal versions, but not day dresses – and not for me! I didn’t actually need one either, but when I saw that wool it just screamed late 50ties, early 60ties to me – and my will power failed me. I got the wool and put it in the fabric shed…
Over the next few months I acquired a crinoline cage and experimented with the corsetry for the era too….
Still, I was too busy dealing with commissions and stock items, so the project, and the fabric was still waiting. Then we decided to go to St. Audries Park ball – and I was kicked into a whirl of activity The venue is amazing ( indeed it is our wedding venue, and we held a short bridal shoot there too), and since we could all arrive early in the afternoon, we decided it would be a perfect place to shoot some Victorian frockage – the 1860 one included:-)
No time to rework the corsets, and since we would be shooting other eras, I decided to save time needed to swap corsetry and stay in my 1880 corset – it did provide the right shape, as it turned out.
What I did need was a proper petticoat…. 6m of cotton and tedious pink tucks sewing, the petticoat was ready 🙂
I was happy with that -time for the skirts….
Not too difficult a job, though it needed a lot of seams – the fabric I had was vintage and narrow….
lots of hemming and pleating was done, and the hem was decorated with a wide velvet ribbon in deep olive …
Bodice next – I didn’t have a pattern, and so based mine on original items found online ( my pinterest board is here), cross – referenced with pattern diagrams from Jean Hunnisett.
Mock up being more or less shaped – just getting the seam placements here, I did the detailed shaping on myself wearing a corset…
Once that was done, it was time to cut the fabric and lining….
and stitch the thing up.
The seams are boned, turned to the side and secured. the edges are faced with the same fabric
The sleeves were a modest pagoda style, trimmed with the olive velvet ribbon and a pleated satin ribbon on the inside of the cuffs. Buttons were a nice eBay find – a velvet covered metal buttons, vintage 🙂
Chemisette with a plain collar and undersleeves with lawn and lace were next…
and then, there was the bonnet – a spoon straw bonnet from Dressing History, trimmed with the following:
1 inside – a lawn lining and a cotton lace ruffle, paper and silk flowers
2. outside – combination of velvet ribbon, satin ribbon and pleated satin ribbon…. edges and bavolet in silk taffeta
The stockings and shoes from American Duchess :-), chemise in cotton and split drawers in cotton too – and am wearing my corset in silk taffeta
The result – well, I was amazed at how fetching the style was – I looked positively sweet, a perfect disguise for my somewhat grumpy personality ( and a grumpy mood on the day as I was suffering from a nasty cold) – must the be hat;-)
It was a fun style to wear and something tells me I am not done with the 1860ties yet! 🙂
hope you like it!